Friday, October 2, 2009

I Love Food.... and Farmers Markets

Last summer while working at a church camp, I decided to become a vegetarian. It was something I had wanted to do for quite some time and had even tried once before, with not much success. This time, however, I was ready to work at it. The camp's theme for the summer was about being good stewards of creation, and although the curriculum didn't teach me about living meat free, some of the other members of the staff did. Throughout the summer and ever since, I have become even more passionate about living meat-free and learning about all of the environmental and health benefits of vegetarianism.

This summer, I stayed here in DC to work. I got in the habit of taking a weekly trip to a farmers market after seeing the wide variety of locally grown food that I could get right in my own neighborhood. Occasionally I would venture down to Eastern Market with their many various vendors, but most of the time I would stick around the Bethesda area where I was living. Although not all of my food came from farmers markets, I tried to at least stock up on all my fresh fruits and veggies for the week on each weekend. I knew that even though it may not have been a huge step, it was still cutting down on the environmental impact from all of the processed foods that most Americans eat, as well as cutting down on transportation pollution from foods that must be shipped from far away.

Now that school is back in session and fall is settling in, however, it is much more difficult to eat environmentally sustainable foods. I often only have a few minutes to grab food before running to another class or another meeting. It is much easier to grab a packaged, processed meal than it is to cook something from fresh ingredients. Finances also are brought back to the forefront of my considerations now that classes are back in session. Over the summer, I was working in a paid office position, so I was able to buy fresher food, which was also usually more expensive. Now, I am an unpaid intern in the non-profit work in addition to taking classes. Since I'm simply living off my savings from the summer, I need to make choices that are the best for my wallet before really considering the environmental impact.

The worst food that I have eaten in the past few days was probably my lunch at my internship yesterday. To avoid paying nearly $10 for lunch at one of the grab and go type of places near my office, I decided to walk the 5 blocks to Safeway to grab something cheaper. I left with a $4 lunch of a salad and a microwavable 3 Cheese Ziti Marinara meal. While the salad was probably environmentally better, there were still probably many pesticides used in the production of all of the toppings I added as well as the production costs to get it to Arlington, VA. The microwavable meal was by far the worst. In order to make the nice plastic wrapped package I popped in the microwave, the wheat had to be grown and processed into pasta, the tomatoes and other ingredients made into sauce, and the cows grown and milked for the cheese. All of these production factors come from various places across the country and then are sent to one factory to make the package I purchased. When counting in all of the processing and the transportation between each step of the production, the environmental impact significantly increases.

No comments:

Post a Comment