Friday, October 30, 2009

Discussion Question 8

I had difficulty accessing the second website, "How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic" so that is why my discussion question is late. The site would not load until now, however some of the links I click on bring me to a database error page. I found the "How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic" overwhelming. I thought it could have been better visually organized. However, I did like the idea of having the topics categorized by common points you would hear from a skeptic. I also noticed there were a lot more links to outside information and they clearly cited a lot more scientific data than the other website. I definitely thought "How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic" did a good job covering all of the bases. Maybe of the topics were things I have heard skeptics say or even thought of myself.

To be honest the Friends of Science website caught me off guard. I thought it was a prevention of climate change website at first because of the revolving earth logo and the "scientific" layout and design of the website. When I started reading though I realized ...not so much. They took a very scientific approach to disproving that humans are causing climate change. It would be hard to argue their points unless you were a scientist or did you own research and read their sources. Most people though are not too familiar with climate change and if this was the first time I was being presented with scientific information on climate change I would probably by into it. I noticed there were very few link references but if you do go further into the website you can download an annotated bibliography. The annotated bibliography is from a book (which you can also download), which purpose is like the website's to disprove climate change. The sources looked pretty legitimate to me but I'm not a scientist. Also the question comes to mind... Are they misquoting the data for their own agenda?

No comments:

Post a Comment