Thursday, October 1, 2009

Food for Thought

When I choose to eat something, there are usually three requirements for possible food options:

1) Vegetarian
2) Meal swipes and/or Eaglebucks are acceptable forms of payment
3) Delicious

As you can see, environmental issues don't directly my food choices, but I feel that they make an indirect, subconscious impact on my decision. For instance, I've been a vegetarian since 5th grade due to moral and ethical qualms with using once-living creatures for my own enjoyment. I am now aware of the environmental benefits of a meat-free diet, but that is not the primary reason behind my gastronomical decisions; it doesn't matter my intentions though, it is still more sustainable than a non-vegetarian diet, no matter my reason for it.

Eating environmentally ethical foods is difficult, as Colin mentioned, with the funds of a college student. My budget breaks down into two categories: "fun" and "food," and the latter most definitely suffers because of the former. Bon Appetit does make efforts to create a more sustainable menu, but it still is not as ideal as buying all of one's foods from a farmer's market, or from all organic sources. While it physically pains me to go to TDR when the "dishwasher is broken" and they're only using plastic and styrofoam utensils and plates, there are few other viable options.

The best effort, besides committing to a vegetarian diet and avoiding foods that are packaged in styrofoam or plastic, I found I can make to a more environmentally friendly diet is to avoid the consumerist, capitalist structure by using TDR as a grocery store. For instance, this morning I had Reeses' Puffs with soy milk and a banana for breakfast in my room, all courtesy of AU's fine dining establishment. I'm not sure how much of a difference is may be making, but even if it doesn't affect any environmental or sustainability principle, but it saves me money, and it can't hurt. If anyone has any insight into how this means of sustenance contributes to environmental impact, I would love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment