Thursday, September 24, 2009

Washington DC 2209

Not to be pessimistic, but I believe if the US continues on its current path it will not be able to sustain itself. I think if DC is not under water or tons of smog, it will be abandoned or at least not the vibrant city it use to be. I think if the United States does not change it will lose its dominant role in the world. Also I doubt other countries will look kindly on the US since in 1900's and the 2000's it was a major player in environmental destruction. It's really hard imagining what could be. Honestly, I in-vision the United States as no longer "the place to be." I could imagine Americans leaving the United States to join countries that are self sufficient. Another negative possibility is that the weather may be so bad that people may have to move underground. But who knows? 

I would hope in 200 years that the buildings in DC would look more like the new SIS building. Hopefully they'll be more advanced but with the same idea "sustainable." Their materials will not harm the planet. They would have their own water filtration system so water can be reused on the site. I would hope they could produce their own energy on the spot through water, solar, wind or some another natural energy. I would also think people would try and recycle old buildings as well. Hopefully the overall population will go down but I think cities will still be present. Instead of DC being so spread out, it may be denser and the buildings just taller. The surrounding area of the city will be farms, so food won't have to travel such long distances. It would be great if we could make a good percentage of what we needed within just a few miles from the city. If the city was denser transportation would be easier. I think the metro would still exist just faster and cleaner. I think DC would still have a lot of parks and "green space" because I've read that cities with more "green areas" are cleaner and have happier people. Hopefully by 2209 DC would have also solved its gentrification problem. In the future, being green won't only be for the rich. 


No comments:

Post a Comment