Thursday, September 3, 2009

Intro!

Hi!

This is the first environmental class I've taken at AU. Honestly I took it because it fulfilled a requirement however, since the first class I'm really happy I added it. I've always tried to be environmentally conscious and I'm a vegetarian. I know its only been a few classes but now I'm rethinking my concentration and thinking of looking into environmental studies. Currently, I'm also trying to decide between studying abroad in Australia or Brussels. So if anyone wants to give their advice on it I'm totally open to it. I've read a few environmental books and I love "how to green books." I liked reading Sarah's entry because it reminded me when I was younger. When I was 8 my favorite subject was science. I loved the rain forest and I wanted to become a marine biologist. However as the years went on and science class became more difficult,, my love for the rain forest and marine life faded. In high school I was a big proponent of the being environmentally conscious though.

Currently I'm a full time student that interns at RAINN and I am involved with Student Advocates for Native Communites. This summer I co-led an alternative break to the Pine Ridge, a reservation in South Dakota. The theme was the role of development and environmental justice within indigenous communities. We worked with a group that was trying to promote gardening as a source of income. They were also combating a mining company that was polluting the local water source. We also learned about the challenges the Lakota community faces when trying to create wind farms. It was a really interesting trip.

I definitely agree with Sarah and Collin. I think its a great point Stanley Fish makes and I don't think you can talk about environmentalism with out touching on it. I can definitely relate. Freshmen year of college, I made a very large effort to go green. I tried to cut down my dairy intake as much as possible (I tried to go vegan at one point). I bought very little for myself. I took a lot of time and energy and focused on recycling. But nothing ever felt good enough and I ended up burning myself out. It was just too much and it was very discouraging. So I gave up and went back to my old ways. Professor Nicholson said something in class the other day about how it is unrealistic to put all the responsibility on the individual. He said for the green movement to be successful it needs to be put into policy. I really agree with this. Buying expensive light bulbs is nice but its not a luxury everyone can afford.

No comments:

Post a Comment