Friday, September 11, 2009

Somewhere in the Middle

It's unfortunate that some groups of thought in the United States can't look at their values and actions critically without feeling attacked. Instead of addressing the film's message of consumerism, Roy Cooper just picked apart the movie, taking quotes out of context and attacking the narrator's Green Peace background. I was surprised he actually posted the video below the article but I thought it was funny how he used a low quality youtube video instead of sharing the link. He also passively dissuades people from watching the movie. As upset as his article made me, I do agree with parts of it. I don't believe elementary age children should be watching it. I highly believe that environmental courses should be taught at a young age and children should learn about consumerism and how their choices have effects on people in developing worlds. However, there is some sarcasm in the film that children might not get. I don't think a child of 8 or 10 years old will be able to gasp major concepts. Yes, they will get that consumerism is bad but they won't necessarily know why and the film uses simple yet strong graphics that may scare children into embracing anti-consumerism. I don't want children scared into the green movement. I want children to learn the consequences of their actions, and make up their own mind. Anyways, I don't think the film was designed specifically for elementary children.

I liked the Steve Cohen article. It looked at the film critically. I agree with Cohen that it didn't really offer any great solutions. It would have been nice if the site included a plan of what to do next. I liked the video but I feel like there must be a better way to motivate and empower people to change their lifestyles. I would like to see a project that used incentives for people to "green up" their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment