Thursday, December 3, 2009

With the given assignment to have a conversation about environmentalism and climate change, I set out over Thanksgiving to coax anyone willing to take the bait into a discussion. I'm normally extremely passive in my environmental views, speaking with others about them only when prompted or when they've shown interest, and I jumped at the opportunity to be a bit more aggressive in my approach. However, no one would entertain my activist advances, which I found strange, due to the often volatile nature of the topic. My first victim was my dentist, who engaged me in light conversation about college, how it feels to be back at home, etc. The reasoning was that even if the conversation didn't go well, she still had to stick around and clean my teeth. I divulged my major, environmental studies, which usually puts people on the defensive, now aware of my tree hugger ways. When she asked me how my break had been so far, I saw my chance. I said something about the increasing suburban sprawl in our town, especially the new Walmart that had been built right across from my neighborhood at the expense of farmland. Her response? Nothing.

I chose my mother as my next prey. She's been dealing with my pet causes and soapboxes since about second grade, so I knew that a discussion about consumerism, capitalism, and their connections to climate change would be no novelty to her, and while she might not listen, she also wouldn't explode in an offended rage. When she asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told her nothing, explaining both the philosophical and practical reasons for eschewing the equivocation of love and goodwill with the acquisition of material goods that is the status quo during the holiday season. I expected at least some discussion, but all I got from her was, "Sarah, if you keep being this weird, you're not going to have any friends." Thanks, Mom.

I gave up on trying to talk to people about climate change, which was frustrating, because I felt that I had so much more to say on the subject, armed with facts and resources after having taken this class. It was my aunt's wayward comment at dinner on Friday night, however, that made me really think about how environmentalists perceive and express our movement. She asked me if my long-term vegetarianism was still ideological, or more of an identity. Perhaps the biggest hindrance to the environmental movement is that is has created a community and an identity, which can be a good thing, but can also alienate people. The best way to get people on board is to create a movement based on action, not identity.


No comments:

Post a Comment